3.31.2015

Ups and Downs

This whole pregnancy has been full of ups and downs. I've realized (several times) that I've never fully blogged about baby #2 and that baby #2 will probably always be known as baby #2.
I was so good about taking belly pictures and posting bi-weekly updates on here, when I was pregnant w/Jovi (AKA Thumper). I don't know what happened w/this one. It doesn't mean I wasn't excited about baby #2. It's just different. It's not a first, so the unexpected isn't as scary. Also, we got pregnant w/baby #2 pretty quick, so a part of me felt like people would've been annoyed w/belly diaries? I dunno. Then again- I reminded myself this was mainly for me anyway, and that anyone who wanted to read my preggo eggo updates could, but that this was solely for MY journaling purposes. 
A lot of you may not know the whole story on baby #2. Allow me to rewind and back track a little.
Jovi was only 6 months old when the possibilities of conception existed. I thought to myself, "No way. No no no no no." Jake just kept saying "TWO!" and again I thought to myself "No no no no no." There was just no way. No possibility. My ovulation schedule was so crazy when trying to conceive w/Jovi. I thought for sure we'd need fertility help again. We waited and just kinda laughed it off. Jake would ask Jovi, "Jovi, do you want another baaaaaaaby in the family?" And Jovi would just look at Jake and smile. It was almost like she knew. Not to mention when I would change her on her changing table, she would pat my stomach- Something she had never done before. She definitely knew before we did.
Fast forward a little >>>>> 
Saturday, Septemeber 27th, 2014 Jake leaves for 2 week bus. trip.
Jovi and I drove him to the airport and said goodbye while he flew to South Carolina for work. This would be the first time Jake spent over-night away from Jovi, and this would be BY FAR the longest we'd ever been apart, since dating.
Monday, September 29th, 2014 Expected period no-showed
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014  Found out I was pregnant w/baby #2.
I called my good friend (Cari), and asked if she had any ovulation tests on hand. I knew she'd ask, and I didn't want her to know/suspect anything, so I asked for those, rather than just the pregnancy tests. I told her we were wanting to AVOID being pregnant, and that I needed ovulation tests to know when I was ovulation, so we knew when to avoid those dates. Plan worked perfect. Cari bought it & met up w/me to give me a huge bag of ovulation tests, and pregnancy tests. I knew I could take an ovulation test that day, to see if I was ovulating.  If I was ovulating, it would've meant we couldn't have pregnant & that we missed the window of opportunity. I was hopeful that was the case, since we were NOT planning a baby again this soon. I went home that afternoon, took an ovulation test, and it said I wasn't ovulating. Great. That would mean the chances were pretty high that I was ovulating earlier, when we thought we might've conceived. Soooooo I decided to take a pregnancy test. Why not. My monthly friend was already a tad late anyway, so what the heck. Sure enough, two little pink lines showed up, indicating positive pregnancy. Sooooo I called my doctor's office letting them know I was pregnant. Boy did I have concerns, as I had to be on a lot of hormonal medications w/Jovi, to maintain the pregnancy. 

Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 Visited Dr. Allen and was congratulated.
My OBGYN was very surprised to see me back so soon after just having Jovi. He congratulated me on not needing to be on hormonal medications in order to conceive this time. I was relieved myself, but still, very shocked. My Dr. (Dr. Allen) knew my HCG levels were really low w/Jovi, and that I was an at-risk pregnancy the first trimester, due to the high possibility of miscarrying (because of the low hormones), so he wanted to check my hormonal level w/this pregnancy, just to verify. Boy am I glad he did!
Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 Received vitals of low hormones.
Doctor Allen insisted I come into the office immediately for blood work and more HCG testing, to see exactly how much hormonal medication I'd need. While I had a hard time conceiving w/Jovi, this time I didn't have a hard time at all. I just had a hard time maintaining the pregnancy. My doctor was afraid that I'd be starting the hormonal medication too late and that I'd miscarry anyway, but that he wanted to at least try and was putting me on a very high dose of Progesterone to help boost my hormones. I started taking the Progesterone that night and was told to come back the following day for more blood work. Apparently you can see your hormones doubling that quick.
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 Received vitals of higher hormones.
Just not high enough. So this was a good thing that the medication was working, but that my doctor wanted my hormones to triple, instead of double. They'd be fine to just double, if I wasn't already pregnant, but since I was, he wanted to triple everything within 48 hrs. to make sure everything would be 100% okay w/this pregnancy, and to ensure that I wouldn't miscarry. Sooo… Not only did he up my MG but he increased my dosage as well. If I wasn't super sick before (from the Progesterone being forced into my body), I was definitely super sick now. I doubled up on my dosages, in hopes my body would do what it needed to do, over the weekend.
Monday, October 6th, 2014 Hormones tripled over the weekend.
This was my doctor's hope & plan, and it worked! I had never felt so sick and tired in my entire life, as I had over the weekend (all while chasing a rolling baby around the house, who was trying to begin the early stages of mobility). Need I remind you I'm completely alone this whole time, not telling ANYONE my ups & downs. I didn't want to tell Jake any of this. Not only because he was away and I felt this was a conversation to have in person, but because he was already home sick and having a hard time concentrating on work. I didn't want to distract him w/the possibility of worry. I just kept all this to myself, and boy was it hard to keep it inside. I was on a hormonal high and very very sick. I needed help, and needed to talk this all through w/someone, but couldn't. I had to wait until Jake got back. 
On a scale of 1-20, they like your hormones to be at least at a 20. Mine were at like a 6 when I first tested my HCG levels. They went up to 11 over night, and over the weekend (just 48 hours later), and were just over 20 when I was seen that Monday (the 6th). Everything was going as planned.
>>> I anxiously awaited the rest of the week to pass, while I still went in for blood work (to make sure everything was still okay w/my hormones).
Friday, October 10th, 2014 Jake comes home & finds out we're expecting.

I had Jovi wearing a onesie that said "Best Sister Ever." When Jake first got off the escelator, he didn't say anything. So I knew he didn't notice Jovi's shirt. I said, "Did you see Jovi's shirt?" He said, "Yeah, she looks cute!" I said, "No, did you read it?" He took one look at Jovi, one look at me (with huge bug eyes) and said, "Are you serious?!?" I told him it was no joke and then he started freaking out, saying how I needed to call my doctor and make sure everything was okay. Little did he know, I had been in touch w/my doctor this entire time, and I found out right at 4 weeks. He was shocked at my web of lies I had been spinning. I was shocked at my amazing secrecy! 
Monday, October 13th 2014 Saw and heard heartbeat on ultrasound. 
Officially confirmed 6 weeks 4 days pregnant and doing well w/hormonal drugs. YIPPEE! We called our families that night, and tricked them into face timing us because "Jovi was crawling." We called our families and just held up the ultrasound.


That's the end of the details, of the beginning of the pregnancy. We have a couple names picked out and feel really drawn to one, like we did w/Jovi, so we'll see what she is. We know this baby is coming for a reason, we just don't know what that reason is quite yet. 
We've always said we wanted 2-3 kids, so depending on how this pregnancy goes, that'll depend on how many kids we have. I hate that it depends on my health, and my doctor, rather than just a decision between Jake and myself, but hey- Those were the cards I was dealt with I guess.
We're very excited to meet this new baby girl. We found out 
Thursday, December 18th, 2014 that I was wrong (yet again), and that baby #2 would be another spoiled little princess. We couldn't be happier to have these two girls so close together in age. They'll end up being exactly 14 months apart! 
We can't wait to meet you Miss P!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love notes