9.20.2012

Keys- craft

This summer has been full of crafts. No really. 
I'm okay with it. I love crafts. They keep me sane
And I enjoy looking around our home, admiring things I've made. 

I made a holder, for our keys. I got the idea off Pinterest so I can't take full credit

If you're anything like my husband, you like to set your keys down as soon as you get home. Argh 
I knew I had to make something by our entry way for him

I realize you all might have seen this on Pinterest, but thought I'd post my own version w/step by step instructions

here we go:

I started out w/four little block squares from Michaels

I borrowed some Liquid Nails from my brother-in-law

If you don't have Liquid Nails, wood glue works just the same FYI

On the Pinterest link, it says you can buy ABC blocks (that already have the letters on them), but I had trouble finding those
so I made my own

I bought pre-cut out letters from Michaels
sorry for the unfocused picture

I glued the letters (individually) onto the wooden blocks from Michaels

I guess you could make it so it spells out anything
but in this case, I wanted mine to be clear that this was for keys

After the above photo dried, I screwed in (little) silver hooks from Lowe's
The hooks were gold, but you end up spray painting them anyway, so it doesn't matter
I then spray painted everything. The letters on the blocks, and the screws

Then I glued the wooden blocks onto a bigger block of wood

I actually already had this block of wood, from a previous craft. Recycle right?!?!

Here's the finish product. Wa la!

As you can see, this block of wood is not that thick. Anything should do

Oh yeah- I painted the block of wood (red) before I glued on the (four) individual blocks. You can paint it any color, but red matched our living room and or kitchen, so I figured this was best for my craft. 
I (also) took a piece of sand paper to it, to rough up the edges and give it that rustic look I love. 
I hung it on the wall, by using 3M Command Velcro Strips. I always have these in my craft hall closet. They come in handy. You can purchase them from Wal*Mart, Target, or Lowe's or Home Depot (I believe). 
ENJOY! 

1 comment:

Love notes