12.04.2013

Give Thanks

This year was slightly different for us for the Thanksgiving holiday.
We originally planned on flying to Los Angeles and being w/my family.
We bought our plane tickets over a month ago and I was just thrilled to be in CA
We were in Idaho last Thanksgiving w/Jake's family, so this year would be my family.
We're on the every other holiday, every other year plan.

Plans changed when I got sick w/the flu last week.

I haven't had the flu in years. Years guys.
Leave it to the one year I'm pregnant. Geez.
The flu is bad enough right? It's even more fun when you're 20+ weeks pregnant.
Baby girl sucked the life out of me! Literally.
I threw up everything I had and more.

I know, I know. Not quite the details you wanted to hear, I'm sorry.

But it happened and it was real. Real ugly.

I went to work Monday morning (the Mon. before turkey day) and felt pretty bad then.
I knew it was coming, but was in denial. 

Tuesday morning I woke up and knew I couldn't get out of bed. I sent Jake to work alone.
I called Jake about 11am and asked him to come bring me chicken noodle soup. 
I couldn't imagine eating it, but thought I'd try. 
And I did, but that's as far as I got.
I told him maybe I'd feel better if I just ya know- threw up.
So I went in the bathroom and tried. And succeeded! Except it was just acid.
I hadn't eaten anything sine the day prior and I preferred to keep it that way.
Nah. Jake had other plans in store for me. I was gonna eat that soup if it was the last thing I did.
So I tried to eat one noodle. Just one. Nope.

Every 20 minutes I was in the bathroom giving up my left lung and more. 
I (eventually) asked Jake to just call my doctor & see what he recommends.
They told me to just try to keep down fluids (water and gatorade).
Jake told them I wasn't even doing that though. Seriously, it was bad.
First trimester flash back say what?!?!
They told me to go to the ER and get an IV if I was still throwing up that much, come Wednesday morning.
I begged Jake to just take me to the ER at that very second though.
He knew it'd be a 24 hour flu bug though, and wanted it to just pass.

And so it did.
I went more than an hour w/o throwing up and decided to try to eat my soup.
Thank goodness my plan worked this time. I ate soup slowly but surely.
I drank as much water as I could and kept down my gatorade. Oh thank you!

Photo taken on my iPhone


The next day was still pretty rough, trying to get my energy back.
My throat was real sore from ya know- throwing up so much the day before.
I stayed in bed and rested all day, and of course drank water.

Side note:
My mom's side of the family always (and I repeat always) does matching pajamas every year for Thanksgiving.
I don't think there's ever been a year we haven't done it.
We always find cute matching jammies before turkey day, and we bring them to my aunt's house, where we celebrate Thanksgiving.
It's something just the girls do; although the boys have done it before as well.
Anyway, I was kinda bummed I wasn't going to be in CA doing matching jammies w/my family this year, so I had Jake do it w/me.
And by it, I mean get matching jammies w/me.
Off to Old Navy we went!
I saw the jammies my family was getting, but I wanted Jake and I to match on our own.
We picked out Jake's pajamas first 'cuz we knew that'd be the hardest.
His had skulls w/Santa hats on them. The skulls reminded me of Disney's Pirates so I asked him to get those hahaha
Then we went over to the women's section to pick out a top and a bottom for me.
I had to make sure everything was extra big, for my extra big tummy.
Here are our matching blue Christmas jammies! 
My bottoms had blue snowflakes and my thermal was blue and white polka dots.

This was our first Thanksgiving together (2011)

Thanksgiving 2012 with Jake's side of the family in Idaho

Thursday morning was Thanksgiving and every pregnant lady's dream. 
Not mine.
My stomach shrunk and I felt so tired. I had hardly any energy but I ate. A little.
I woke up and cut up breakfast danishes, then watched the Macy*s day parade.
We spent our meal w/my sisters and immediately headed over to Target to get in line w/all the other Black Friday shoppers.
Except it was more like Black Thursday (or White Thursday as everyone's calling it these days).
Target was selling a 50 in TV for $228 and I thought heck if we're staying in freezing cold Utah, might as well make it fun!
So, we got in line w/all the other crazies and crazies they were.
We had a pretty interesting group in front of us and a rather annoying lady behind us, so we were highly entertained.
I camped out in my chair for three hours, while Jake kept questioning why we were doing this.
We were both so cold and I had to use the facilities but didn't want to drive all the way home to do so.
We saw a friend of ours in line. She got there about 30 or so minutes before us.
I went over and talked to her for a bit and passed some time. 

A little while later, the Target store manager came out and said they only had 40 TVs and would be handing out tickets for them at 7pm.
The doors would be opening at 8 and we knew all hell would break loose then.
We started counting how many people were in front of us and there were about 75-80 people, so our odds were not very good, for getting a TV.
I asked our friends if they would get us a ticket, if the time came and we needed them to.
Thank goodness for them. They barely made the cut off!

Photo taken on my iPhone


All because of them, we have a glorious 50 inch TV in our living room and our nice 32 inch in our bedroom.
Never in my life did I think I'd be that girl obsessed w/electronics, but it happened. 

Photo taken on my iPhone

Photo taken on my iPhone

The day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday) Jake and I just stayed in and chilled.
I felt great knowing our Black Friday shopping was over with and done, in just four hours!
We didn't have to go anywhere on Friday and we avoided all crowds. Jake was happy!
He hates them big crowds. Not his style at all.

So we baked and enjoyed a delicious home-made pumpkin roll. Delicious it was.


And of course a home-made apple pie as well. This recipe was not easy as pie.
It was, but it wasn't. It was hard getting the crust just right.

We enjoyed a glorious six days off work. That's right folks. Count 'em. Six.
It was hard going back to work this week, but my energy was no where to be found. I needed them six dias.

Here are just a few things I'm thankful for. And more.
I'm thankful for our life. Our freedom to have chosen to be on this Earth.
I'm thankful for my dear, sweet, funny, and adorable husband who I appreciate more & more every day.
I'm thankful for our jobs and for the health benefits they provide.
I'm thankful for ensuring insurances that give us a back up back up.
I'm thankful for our warm, reliable roof over our heads.
I'm thankful for our nice, clean, updated apartment. We really have it easy over here.
I'm thankful for the opportunity to buy our first home and enjoy the journey!
I'm thankful for this beautiful baby girl floatin around inside me.
I'm thankful for the gift of life.
I'm thankful for my wonderful doctor and the reassurance he provides w/his staff.
I'm thankful for technology and for keeping in touch w/friends and family near & far.
I'm thankful for clean slates. 
I'm thankful for my family and for the love and support they show us daily.
I'm thankful for our continuous friendships Jake and I share w/those of you who are reading.
I'm thankful for babies and the smiles they give me. Seriously guys. I melt. I love your kids!
I'm thankful for modern medicine and those who have perfected it.
Last, but surely not least, I am thankful for my knowledge I have  in the gospel of Jesus Christ. My testimony in prayer has grown more than ever. 

Happy holidays to you and yours! I have so much to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love notes