8.29.2013

BBQ Pork/Chicken Salad

A few of you have been asking about this delicious salad I made last night.

Here's the recipe:

In the photo below, we got pre-pulled/cooked chicken from Costco.
It was frozen and all we did was heat it up.
You can cook a pork shoulder in the crock pot all day or just get a frozen meat.
That's what we did. Frozen.
The Costco one comes with BBQ sauce on it. You can add your own though.
If I were making my own pulled pork/chicken from home, I would normally soak 1 container of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and 1 cup Ketchup in 2 cups of shredded BBQ chicken/pork. The recipe below is the more complicated/time consuming one.
The above cheat sheet, is the fastest/easiest one. 
Gotta love Costco frozen goods :)
You can try both ways and see which one you prefer. They're both excellent!

BBQ Chicken:

- Put 4 chicken breasts in crockpot.
- Cover with mixture of 2 cups of BBQ sauce, 1 cup Ketchup, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and 2 cups water.
- Mix it up and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until it falls apart when you stick it w/a fork or a knife.


The recipe continues on:
1 cup corn
1 cup black beans
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded) *not pictured below
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 cup carrots (chopped) * optional
1/4 red onion (chopped) *optional
1 full avocado *optional
1 can black olives *optional
Crushed tortilla chips

And you can omit things like carrots and onions but the other items are a necessity and really make the taste of the salad.

Finally....Drench with Ranch Dressing :) 

Photo taken on my iPhone

It's a really good summer salad and is extremely effortless, in my book. 
You get a lot for very little :)
I don't usually crush my tortilla chips. I usually leave them on the side, and when I'm tired of picking at my salad w/the fork, I usually let the tortilla chips jump in and take over. They're great for picking up all the other little pieces, when you run out of lettuce.
We usually put all the little ingredients on the side, in individual dishes, so people can add whatever toppings they'd like.
Normally, though, I just get romaine lettuce, dump it in a large serving bowl, and add all the above ingredients and mix together all at once. It just depends if you have picky eaters or not.
This is real easy and yummy.
Enjoy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love notes